Replacing roof vents

Last weekend I replaced the two van-air roof vents and the central roof vent.  The van-airs were installed in the kitchen and bathroom.  They were just 32+ years old and had disintegrated.  They did still work, but not well.

The good news is that the replacements were $45/ea on eBay.

2016-04-09 14.50.06 2016-04-09 16.03.06 2016-04-09 16.03.03

I used a ladder to get up on the roof and there are a couple of photos of what I was replacing.

The central vent was a strange / obsolete vent.  I replaced it with a Fantastic Vent with a thermostat and a rain sensor.  This required a small enlargement to the hole.  I was nervous about the enlargement because there was structural framing on one side.  I consulted the parts manual and realized it was okay to modify.  The “skeleton” section from here.

2016-04-09 15.46.23 2016-04-09 15.28.36 2016-04-09 15.46.25 2016-04-09 15.53.33

I had to take the vent apart in order to trace it’s outline on the roof.

2016-04-09 16.02.37 2016-04-09 16.02.40 2016-04-09 16.02.41 2016-04-09 16.02.43 2016-04-09 16.02.48

It also involved taking the vent apart in order to trace it’s outline.  It’s sealed with a good heavy duty sealant, OSI Quad.  I believe this is a one part polyurethane rubber, but Henkel doesn’t say.  I know it’s the best stuff to use on Hardie Siding and it has a 25% stretch rating.  A bus is hardly hardie siding, but it is a tough thing to seal up.  I’m happy with the results and it did not leak when it rained recently.

I picked up the Fantastic vent on eBay as an open box return.  It was in perfect condition.  $300 vent obtained for $120 including shipping.  🙂

One thought on “Replacing roof vents”

  1. Just discovered your website – nice what you are doing! I own a slightly younger and bigger brother of your bus, a 1992 Skyliner, and I am still in the process of converting it into a RV.
    Wish you good luck with your bus!

    Regards, Ron.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *