The weather is nice today…. so I decided to do the unthinkable and start tracing wires under the dash. Ugh, uber-cluster-fuck. Several iterations of mis-wiring are present.
My front turn signals did not work when I started. Oh so many fun things found.
- 12 v flasher in a 24v system…. yes Dorothy, voltage mismatch causes bad juju and a fast flash. Cured via eBay for $8 from a local company. http://www.ebay.com/itm/400915581735
- The bulb was missing from the driver side. That was easy.
- Someone has taken the signal/wiper switch off the steering column before, screws are stripped. Off to Bolt Depot for replacements….. Ordered several options, I’m sure something will fit
- Still no idea why there is no power getting to the passenger side turn signal. Opened the dash a bit and discovered a wonderful AP4600 paging car alarm. Deposited that in the trash. The first of many items that will be coming out from under the dash as I untangle the wiring.
I’m debating a few things:
- Convert to 12v turn signal system. It’s all fed from one place, so this is feasible and would make it easier to get LED lights.
- Replace front turn signals and markers. The existing ones are Hella and hella hard to find…. lol.